IntraLase IFS Laser
The IntraLase IFS Laser brings a new level of safety and assurance to Pennsylvannia vision correction surgery by providing an all-laser approach for optimal precision. Now, the accuracy of a computer-controlled laser may be used to create the corneal flap for LASIK, providing unprecedented control and the ability to customize the flap for each of our patients.
Traditionally, the creation of a corneal flap was performed with a mechanical, hand-held device (known as a microkeratome) which moved across the cornea to cut the flap.
LASIK using the IntraLase IFS Laser is called IntraLASIK. To make the corneal flap, the IntraLase IFS Laser, the laser beam is focused into a tiny spot of energy that passes harmlessly through the outer layers of the cornea until reaching its exact focal point within the central layer of the cornea. There the corneal flap procedure is initiated, silently and painlessly, with remarkable precision. The IntraLase IFS Laser can also be used to create the channels and entry cuts for placement of Intacs. Using the IntraLase IFS Laser for this procedure assures that the two segments are placed at the exact same depth and removes the need for making the more surgically difficult mechanical channel.
Researchers are exploring the possibility of using the IntraLase IFS Laser in other procedures, such as cornea transplants and glaucoma treatment.
Why we’ve invested in the IntraLase for our Harrisburg and Camp Hill offices:
- IntraLASIK in Camp Hill and Harrisburg Pennsylvannia locations provides our patients with an extra margin of safety by eliminating potential complications from mechanical microkeratomes.
- IntraLASIK allows us to perform LASIK on patients with thin corneas because we can make a more precise shallow flap, which allows us to correct higher levels of refractive error.
- IntraLASIK provides both the patient and the surgeon with a higher level of confidence knowing the creation of the flap will be without complications. Patients and surgeons relax more during the procedure making it more enjoyable for all.
- IntraLASIK makes laser vision correction an all laser procedure, which significantly adds to its precision and predictability.
- IntraLASIK also creates better fitting flaps. Once put back in place, these flaps form a tight seal, making flap dislocation after the procedure more difficult.
- The corneal flap procedure with IntraLASIK, using the IntraLase IFS Laser is painless and more comfortable as there is much less pressure placed on the cornea with the laser using the mechanical microkeratome.
For more information about IntraLASIK, go to:
*IntraLASIK proprietary software is offered exclusively by IntraLase Corp. IntraLase and IntraLASIK are trademarks of IntraLase Corp.